Why Should I Try Meditation?
I’m only just starting to understand the impact of meditation on how I feel and I am by no means an expert. However, I encourage you to take some time to understand the benefits and try our free downloads. Let us know how you get on.
What is meditation?
Meditation can be defined as a practice where an individual focuses their mind on a particular object, thought or activity to achieve a mentally clear and emotionally calm state. Your mind doesn’t need to stop thinking in order to meditate. Your mind is designed to think, so… let it think.
Meditation is about balance, wakefulness and awareness. It is not about forcing something to be a certain way.
Meditation is about being wakefully present and aware of “what is” happening. Being aware of what your mind is thinking is so important. It allows us to tune in and hear our own negative self-talk and turn it into positive affirmations. This can really restore balance and positivity in our lives.
What are the benefits of meditation?
- The foundation of self awareness that meditation provides is useful in many areas. It shows us how to focus on the present moment and stop worrying about future or past. Meditation also teaches us how to be in control of mind and emotions instead of the other way around.
- Taking time to mediate develops insight into the unconscious causal connections between thoughts, attitudes, perceptions, feelings, body states, and behaviours. When you meditate, slowly you start recognising even the most subtle fluctuations of your emotions and thoughts. This results in a better understanding and control of mind and body.
- Your attitude towards life will change. You will learn how to be more appreciative for good deeds of others. This will help you to start enjoying little moments of happiness that life provides us every day.
- You will be able to see the larger picture of things instead of small day to day problems.
- Meditation helps us accept the things as they are not as we desire them to be. We become content with what we have. The negative feelings of jealousy, hatred, greed, anger, frustration, anxiety and failures start disappearing from our personality.
- You will be more understanding towards others.
- You will start ignoring petty issues that consumed much of your energy.
- Please don’t think you need to be attaining enlightenment of some Buddha-like nature. Just meditate. Aim for 10 mins a day or more and all benefits will follow in their own time.
- Your inner ability to solve complex problems will increase.
- It is a healthy way to handle stress. Meditation lowers hypertension and high blood pressure while slowing heart rate and quickening recovery time.
- Meditation increases concentration, self-esteem, spontaneity, creativity, and depth of awareness.
Where do I start?
Mindset and mental well-being play such a crucial part in managing our menopause. Meditation can be a real help. If you’ve not done it before, it really is worth trying. Try different sources and find a way that works for you. We have 2 short meditations for you to try on our page “Thinking Your Way Through The Menopause”.
There are some great free online resources and apps you can try. Here are just a couple I like: